The building dates back to 1770 and was a private residence until purchased by the Ministry of Agriculture in 1946. The building however fell into disrepair and after fire damage was included on the Scottish Conservation Trusts Buildings at Risk Register. ema had been involved in the building for some time before the existing client purchased the site in 2012.
The building was seriously damaged before work began and the underlying aim was to restore and respect the listed building while finding a use which would secure its longevity. The aim was to create 4 flats and 1 townhouse within the existing structure and a stables block of 12 dwellings to the rear. The existing building was fully restored, including the reinstatement of the historic core and central stair and replacement of high quality materials such as natural slate, rubble stonework, wet dash render and sash and case windows. The end result is a high quality and well considered renovation.
Livingston, West Lothian
2010 - 2013